Tuesday, March 27, 2012

I miss your words of wisdom . . .

There is a challenge blog that I frequent quite often that has such an array of talent on their design team, along with the participants in their sketch/journaling challenge.  I will admit that I am a lurker, eying all of the gorgeous layouts, feeling intimidated and wondering should I, could I?  If you're wondering what the heck I'm talking about, it's Once Upon A Sketch.  I was particularly drawn to their gorgeous sketch designed by Nadia Cannizzo and their journaling requirement . . I miss.  I've been putting this challenge off and finally decided to join in.

And here is the sketch:
When I read the post and saw the journaling must contain the words I miss, I instantly knew my layout would be of my mom. For those of you who follow my blog you know that last summer my mom was diagnosed with advanced, progressive dementia.   The picture of her was taken last August shortly before she moved into senior living. Sadly since last summer her memory has declined rapidly.  My mom and I were extremely close.  We talked about everything.  Sadly that part of my mom is gone, and words can't express how heartbroken I am. 
  My journaling quite simply reads:

There isn't a day that goes by that I don't miss
our conversations.  I miss being able to talk to you
about the weather, a gardening question or just to
confide in you.  You've always been there for me
as my mother, my friend and confidant.  I long  for
that open window, where your memory reemerges,
and we talk, we smile and laugh.

Here are a few closeups:


Thanks  for stopping by!
. . . Debbie

Supplies Used:
Kaisercraft's Sweet Nothings Collection, Vintage Doily punch by Martha Stewart, pearls and flowers from my stash.

27 comments:

Cindy Gay said...

You look like her and she lives in you! Great page Debbie!

Unknown said...

This is just beautiful Debbie- NO need to feel intimidated- this is amazing! What a touching, beautiful layout- all the fussy cutting is perfection :)~

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

This is GORGEOUS!! I loveeeeeeeeeeeee the photo, the colors, the flowers and LOVING the journaling!

Unknown said...

This is so beautiful, Debbie! I'm glad to see you participating at OUAS, they definitely are such an inspiration, aren't they? No reason to be intimidated, your work is always so gorgeous.

Ashley Horton said...

Really amazing page, Debbie!! I think you definitely fit right in at OUAS!! The layering is so pretty and I love all of the gorgeous embellishments you used. What a sad story to have to tell, but this is a beautiful way to tell it!!

li-bee-ti said...

Stunnin lo, Debbie! I adore your fussy cutting, you're such a talented woman.
Reading your post and your journaling brought tears in my eys. my heart goes for you.
hugs.

Jasmine S said...

Such a beautiful page. Your fussy cutting looks sensational and the three flowers to the right are just the perfect final touches. Gorgeous photo too. Thanks for joining us at OUAS.

yyam said...

What a stunning tribute to your mom Debbie! Love the gorgeous layers!

I know it's tough...take care my friend.

Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking Editor said...

What a lovely layout and story behind it, Debbie. I so appreciate your honesty and thank you for sharing what's in your heart with all of us.

And yes, online challenges can be intimidating, but they can also be fun, and they really do help us grow in our creativity. Besides, taking risks keeps us young! Good for you for throwing your hat in the ring!

jeanie g said...

What a beautiful page Debbie, I love the journalling too, so sad for you. Hope you can keep your memories alive through your LO's. xx

Natalie Elphinstone said...

I think this is just a truly amazing layout both in it's beautiful design (all those layers of flowers made me gasp in delight) and the heartfelt and touching journaling you added. I'm so glad you joined in with us at OUAS.

Unknown said...

This is so beautiful Debbie. Fantastic composition and amazing layering (as always) As soon as I saw what the journaling challenge was I guessed who your layout would be about. You have done your Mom proud. Lots of love x

Angi Barrs said...

Wow...your page is gorgeous! Love the birdcage and all the pretty elements.

Rebecca Ednie said...

Beautiful! Such careful paper cutting. Sorry to hear your mom is so sick. Stopped by from a link on Moxie Fab World.

Deirdre said...

Beautiful LO - thanks for sharing this with us. Congrats on your "shout out" over on Moxie Fab World.

Lynda said...

What a lovely tribute to your mom, Debbie...the beauty of this piece brought tears to my eyes...good for you for jumping in to the challenge!

Michelle said...

This is so touching....I'm in tears writing this so I hope it's legible! Stunning layout and tribute to your Mom! It sounds like you have an amazing friendship!

Susan said...

Congratulations on being featured on Moxie Fab!
I was saddened to read about your mom and was touched by your lovely scrapbook page.

Maiko Kosugi (mai*) said...

Gorgeous page!!
Thanks for joining us for the challenge at OUAS!

Georgia Heald said...

I'm so glad Debbie that you decided to stop 'lurking' lol and joined in with us at OUAS! This is just stunning, you have chosen the perfect papers for your gorgeous photo and such touching journalling! I look forward to seeing more of your work at OUAS =)

Ella Swan said...

This is so delightful! You have done a wonderful job!! Thank you for playing along at Once Upon a Sketch!!

Deb Walker Deb Stamps Life, LLC said...

What a wonderful tribute Debbie! So many beautiful details...little things that remind you of all the little things you love and miss in your mom! Best of luck in the challenge--may you enjoy participating in many more!

Helen F. said...

This layout and photo of your Mom is so beautiful, Debbie...the story behind your lovely tribute really hit home for me. My Mom has Alzheimer's and sadly slips away a little more each day.

Trinh said...

I came here via the MFW and I wanted to congratulate you on the shout-out. Your LO is beautiful! Your post is especially touching since my mom has dementia also and she has gotten much worse over the last 4 months. I have learned to treasure the moments when I glimpse the mom I once knew. You're in my thoughts!

BabyBokChoy said...

What a lovely and sentimental page!! Your take on the sketch is wonderful!

Beatriz Farquhar-Guzman said...

Debbie, your page touched me sooo much! Thank you for sharing it, it is gorgeous!!!!

Sandi Clarkson said...

Gorgeous and touching page, Debbie. I love OUAS and do try to take part when I can. Love that you got a chance to journal. And how fitting the flowers are for a gardner like you .. talk soon!